Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Boobie Check ~aka~ Reality Check

**Warning... read at your own discretion!  There will be talk of boobies...  my boobies!**

Saturday, I discovered a lump.  The area surrounding the lump is very tender to painful at times.  The lump is about the size of a bean.  The tender area is about the size of a half-dollar or so.  I have never had any issues like this before so it is all pretty worrisome.

I saw my family doctor on Tuesday.  During the exam, we discovered several other tender areas as well.  I'm a few weeks away from my next cycle, so we don't think the areas of concern are related to hormone changes.  The doctor was fairly confident that this is not a cancer issue, but more of a fibrocystic disease.

I'm scheduled to have a diagnostic evaluation on Monday morning.  It will consist of a mammogram, ultrasound, and possible biopsy.

I'll be glad to have the procedure over and done with.  I've seen and heard the mammogram jokes.  So, I'm not looking forward to the visit at all.  But, hopefully I'll have some more definitive answers.

We all know someone who has been affected by breast cancer.  So, I can tell you that this has been a reality check for me.  It's a reminder to stay in tune with my body and what's going on.  It's a reminder to keep those annual appointments.  As a nurse I know that early detection is the key to any disease.  

I am mostly confident all will be ok.  (There's always a little worry!)  Prayers are appreciated!
~jen    

No comments: