Saturday, January 3, 2009

First Random Thoughts of 2009

Happy New Year 3 days late. Better late than never, right?

So here's the first (of many, I'm sure) random thoughts post. Where to begin?

Let's start with a prayer request. Mike's grandmother has been admitted to hospice care. One goes through a range of emotions when the word hospice is heard. For some it's a reminder of a loved one who has already passed; it's a little relief that the end is near and that suffering will be kept to a minimum; it's a peaceful place, quiet place where loved ones can be surrounded by family and friends as those last moments draw near. For others it is the realization of the circle of life.

Mike's grandmother has lived to be 90. Last night while watching her rest I looked at her hands. What those hands must have done in 90 years. They are wrinkled, bruised, and worn. But they are also warm, gentle, and long to be held. We all spent our time holding her hands last night. They are beautiful 90 year old hands. I am blessed to have had those hands hold both my babies, to experience the wonderful cherry jelly that those hands made, to have the crocheted items that those hands made for our home, and to have had the opportunity to hold and caress her beautiful hands. God bless you Louise. I love you as if you were my own grandmother.

To my own grandparents reading this... I love you more than you'll ever know.

I had planned to post my random thoughts, but anything else I have to blog about seems unworthy to follow this prayer request. So, I'll save those for another day.

~jen

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I like that you wrote about her hands. Those hands have done amazing things, hard things, creative things, loving things...thank you for being there yesterday, for all of our family...

Jennifer said...

Even though I'm just an "in-law", I've adopted you all as my own. You are just as much my family as my own. While I don't have all the memories that you have with Louise, I have some great ones to cherish.

Unknown said...

both of you don't forget those hands also held cherry switches. i never had one used on me- the threat of one many times. i think that was for mostly her kids.

i really do love what you wrote as well.

Jennifer said...

Good ole switches. Maybe I should try that one with my kids! I know that threat always worked on my brother and I when we were younger! What is it with grandmothers and switches?!? :) Hope you are well. I've thought of you often over these past few days.