Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cadenism

A little bathroom humor...

Earlier today the nurse in me was counting down the time that Cody had left before he was "due to void". There is a strict (well... somewhat strict) rule that a patient should void (urinate) within 6 hours of surgery or removal of a catheter. If they are unable to void then a straight cath is usually done. Well, we were approaching our due to void time earlier this afternoon and I was encouraging Cody to try and go to the bathroom.... or else. Well, this got Caden's attention. "Or else what?" (asked Caden with a mischievous grin... he's heard 'or else' before). I replied with "or else Cody will have to have a catheter put in." Of course I had to explain what a catheter was in terms that a 6 year old would understand. I basically showed him Cody's IV line and told him that a tube like the IV line would be put inside his "pee-pee" (we'll keep this G-rated) and the tee-tee would drain out. Well, of course Caden's eyes got real big and he immediately began shaking his head no and saying... "Oh, no... oh, no. Cody if I was you I'd be getting out of that bed and go pee. You don't want that to happen to you... oh no." It was hilarious.

~jen

No comments: