Well, Cody had appendicitis and therefore no longer has his appendix. He had surgery this morning at 8:15. What was supposed to be just an hour surgery, ended up with us waiting until 10:00 to finally see the doctor. His first words were, "don't worry... we've been out for a while". My first thoughts were, where the heck have you been then? Notice I said thoughts. I kept my mouth shut.
After a rocky recovery, the trip to the surgical floor, and a very tearful, hurting Cody... we finally got some medication on board to help with his pain. He has 3 small incisions in his lower abdomen. The doctor was able to do a lap procedure rather than open Cody up. This will lessen his recovery time, which is good when your right in the middle of basketball season!
I've run home with Caden for a little break. I am amazed that I am still speaking coherently since I have now been awake for 33 hours. I need to get some things packed for Cody and I for tonight. I also need to make sure everything is ready for Caden for his first day back to school after Christmas break.
Cody will have more lab work drawn in the morning to check his white blood cell count. We are hoping to see that the numbers have decreased. If so, then he should be released. If not, then we are there another day for IV antibiotics.
I'll post an update from the hospital this evening. Thanks to all of you that have stopped by to visit. We really appreciate everything.
~jen
2 comments:
there was that dancer on dancing with the stars who was out for only 2 weeks, i think. i don't watch it i just heard that somewhere. glad everyone is doing well. just wondering if this is your first hospital visit, or just of this magnitude?
This is our first with Cody. Caden was hospitalized when he was a baby with severe gastroenteritis. It's been a little scary this time around. Sometimes being a nurse really stinks. It's hard to know the surgery horror stories, but harder to deal with watching your child suffer with pain. He's doing better this evening. Hopefully he will only be out 2 weeks. He's healthy and strong, so I would imagine he will do fine with his recovery.
Post a Comment