I don't know how one is to get well if you are not allowed to sleep around here! Holy moly. Between the hum of the IV (and it's not really a peaceful, lull you to sleep kind of hum) and the rarrrrr sound of the compression device that is massaging Cody's lower legs (to decrease the risk of blood clots forming in his legs while his activity level is low... which by the way, Cody's already asked me to find out how to purchase one of these machines for home... he seems to like it.)... anyways back to my thought... between those 2 machines playing some sick game of back and forth beeping and rarrring and the nursing staff coming in every 2 hours... how is one to get well if they are not allowed to sleep! But on the other hand... who needs sleep? That's the sleep deprivation talking. Never mind that.
Cody did well during the evening. We took an evening stroll last night before bed. He wasn't happy about it, but a good friend of ours threatened Cody that she'd send her husband up here to get on Cody if he didn't walk. Don't know how much bearing that had on Cody's decision to finally get up and walk as this man that was going to be on his way if Cody didn't follow orders is as gentle as a teddy bear! I think he did it to make me happy. And I was happy. He was also told by the nurses that his doctor would be asking him how much he walked, so he probably decided he'd better have a good answer for him this morning.
In between the machines beeping, nurses awakening him for IV checks and vital signs, apparently I snored a little last night (it happens when I am very tired... but Cody said it wasn't too bad and I never snored while the nurses were in here... he's probably lying about that part), and the numerous trips to the bathroom... he slept. Eventually he got to where he would sleep through the beeping machines.
His pain seems better this morning. He took his first dose of oral pain medication last night before bed and it's held him until now. (Since the nurse yesterday apparently used what looked like to be at least an 18 gauge needle... that's basically the size of a water hose... to inject into his toosh, he decided that was the last of the IM injections). He's just taken a second pain pill. I'm praying it will stay down since he refused any kind of cracker or snack to take with it.
Hopefully we will have good news from the doctor within the next few hours. I'll post an update once we know what's going on. Thanks for the emails and calls.
~jen
No comments:
Post a Comment