Sunday, January 4, 2009

Appendicitis?

Here's my first chance to blog away from home....

Yesterday afternoon Cody began complaining of abdominal pain. He said it only hurt a little, so I decided to play the wait and see game. By 7:45, Cody was in tears. After a quick assessment and a Q and A with Cody, I decided it would be best to take him to the ER. We've been here since 8:40. We spent almost 4 hours in the waiting room, then another 2 hours in a room before we knew what possibly could be wrong. Cody has an elevated white blood cell count, protein in his urine (not sure if that's related to the appendix), and a CT was done. Since Cody is so skinny and has very little fat in his abdomen, the CT did not visualize his appendix. The ER doctor is confident that the appendix is our problem, though. He has called in a surgeon to come and evaluate Cody. The surgeon also seems somewhat sure that his appendix needs to be removed because he has gone ahead and scheduled Cody's surgery for this morning.

Cody is sleeping right now. He was given some IV pain medicine earlier and I think it has finally taken effect. He's been somewhat calm. He's mostly upset that he won't be playing in a big rivalry basketball game tomorrow night. He's probably already asked me 10 times if I will let him play. Mike didn't help matters by telling us that Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers' QB) was back in action within 1 week after having his appy done!

We'll get the final word from the surgeon regarding how long Cody will be out. Right now, I just want to get through today. I can't even believe that I am still functioning after being awake now for 24 hours straight! (Much less typing in somewhat complete sentences!)

Please say a prayer for Cody. Please pray that he will have a safe and successful surgery. Please pray that Cody will be able to accept his recovery time. Please pray for Mike and I. This is a first for us. Thankfully it is something simple as an appendectomy, but it's still a major event for us.

I'll post updates as the day goes on. (Thank goodness for laptops and the hospital offering wireless Internet!)

~jen

No comments: