Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Kidney Update

First things first... I passed my stone today. Wahoo! I did take a picture of it (I knew my friend Renay would totally love to see it!) but I am not going to post it! It's just too gross! :)

On a more serious note....I went to the urologist today. I started hurting pretty badly yesterday, so I called his office twice (only to leave a message.... seriously... I cannot stand leaving messages at the doctor's office!) and finally got a phone call back late yesterday afternoon to come in this morning. My urologist, Dr. Pate, is wonderful. He really listened, has a great "bed-side" manner. He was pretty upset that I was even released from the ER Monday morning. Apparently I should have stayed in the hospital and had this taken care of Monday. He ran a another urinalysis and a series of x-rays. So here's the diagnosis... I have a total of 4 stones, 2 in each kidney. One on the right is starting to move and shouldn't be a problem. The other one on the right is in a "good" position and shouldn't cause any problems. Now to the left kidney. I have an 8 mm stone that will eventually block the ureter (the tube that leads from the kidney to the bladder) and it is not in a good position, it is starting to make it's way out of the kidney. I have another stone about 6 mm that will also be a problem.

So.... on Friday I will have to go in for day surgery. I will have to have a stent placed from the left kidney to the bladder under general anesthesia and then I will have Lithotripsy done to break up at least the larger stone. There is a limit to the procedure, so Dr. Pate may not be able to break up both stones in the left kidney. I should be able to go home late Friday afternoon.

I am not happy to say the least. I realize that this is what must be done in order for the stones to go away. I've been down this road.... 14 years ago and it was horrible. I'm hoping that it will be different this time. I was pregnant with Cody during that time before, so hopefully it won't be as bad. Your prayers would be appreciated. Not only for me, but for Mike and the boys.

Thanks,
~jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
You are in our prayers and know everything will go ok. Many are keeping you in their hearts and thoughts, through prayers being prayed on your behalf. Please have Mike to call us as soon as everything is over. I will call Mom as soon as we hear from Mike. I am always with you, as your Dad is also.
Love you,
Dad and Mom

~renay~ said...

Seriously Girl,

We are going to have to get you well!! I can't even imagine the pain that is involved with passing a stone. You will be in our prayers and know that we will do whatever we need to to help with the boys. I love you!

~Renay

***of course, I can't wait to see the picture!! ~;-)

Keri said...

Of course I will be praying that things go smoothly and the pain is minimal!! :) No picture??? Oh come on!