Last week I had the honor to witness a patient take their last breath. It was just the patient and I in the room. I had just arrived for my visit, but after one look and watching one breath, I knew death was close. I stayed at the bedside. Death came. I silently wondered if the room was filled with angels. What was that exchange of life on this earth to the next like? Silence filled the room. I opened a window. Gathered my thoughts. Made the call. Within an hour, I was on my way and moving on to the next patient.
Each death stays with me. Especially the ones that I have the honor and duty to pronounce. There is no greater silence through a stethoscope than the absence of a heartbeat. It is a very profound moment. In that one moment life has forever changed. The patient. The family. Friends. Caregivers. Me.
~jen
No comments:
Post a Comment