Meltdowns around here can happen at anytime, for any reason. Case in point... a sandwich can make or break a normal morning routine. Yesterday, Caden wouldn't tell me what kind of sandwich he wanted for his lunch at pre-K. So, after numerous requests for him to tell me what kind of sandwich he wanted, and no reply... he ended up with a grape jelly and peanut butter sandwich.
Well, of course once he realized that he no longer had an opportunity to make his request AND the fact that I had made a grape jelly and peanut butter sandwich, the meltdown began. "I don't like that kind of grape jelly, I only like Granny's grape jelly" (which by the way... Granny's "grape" jelly isn't even grape, it's blackberry). "Make me a ham and cheese sandwich, not a grape jelly sandwich".
By this time a full tantrum is under way, complete with stomping feet and folded arms across his chest. It only escalated at this point because I wasn't giving in because a lesson had to be learned. He has to answer my questions and let me know what he wants, or he's just going to get what ever I make! So... stomping feet and folded arms quickly became thrashing and screaming. (Yes... I am talking about sweet, little, innocent, precious Caden.) By this point a spanking was needed... and delivered.
What makes it worse is we had to send him to school after the whole ordeal. Mike said it was a pretty sad sight dropping him off at school. He was definitely not in the mood to go to school after our morning! (To Keri and Teresa... I hope his mood improved. I can only imagine the look on his face and the comments he made at lunch as he pulled out that horrible grape jelly and peanut butter sandwich!)
Mike picked him up after school and Caden made one last comment... "I don't like grape jelly and peanut butter sandwiches, Dad".
Hopefully he learned a lesson about answering me when I ask "what kind of sandwich do you want?" :)
~jen
No comments:
Post a Comment