Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of School


First day of school: Done.  What excitement there was this morning.  New clothes.  New shoes.  Saved just for today.  Caden was up bright and early with nothing but smiles.  Cody was up all on his own, an hour before he needed to be at school.... just to please my request of a first day of school photo.  It's been a tradition since Cody started kindergarten.  I couldn't let his senior year be any different.

I was doing pretty good this morning.  No tears.  That was until I focused in on these two smiling at the camera. All of a sudden it hit me that this is the very last first day of school picture that these two will share.  Once I comprehended this thought... the tears started rolling.  I got myself together to walk Caden to the end of the street and watched him cross the street safely, then I had to wait till he reached the front doors.  Once he was out of my sight, I turned and headed home.  I needed the moment to collect myself.

I found Cody gathering up his things in his room.  He stood, towering me by almost a foot, and he let me hug him.  No stopping the tears then.  The moment was here.  My oldest child is a senior.

~jen  


 

No comments: