Monday, April 27, 2009

No real answers...

Today Cody had his appointment with our family doctor. I absolutely love our family doctor. He is patient, he listens, he explains, and he's someone we can trust. For the most part Cody's labs were normal. We are still waiting on the Epstein-Barr Virus titers. Our doctor added 2 more labs this morning to determine if there is any inflammation in Cody's body.

After a thorough assessment, Cody still has a moderate amount to tenderness to his right lower abdomen. This should have resolved by now. His doctor is suspecting Cody may possibly have an infection in his lower abdomen... possibly an abscess. He said this would explain the scar tissue forming so quickly from his appendectomy.

We will wait on all the lab results to come in. Based on what they show, the next step is to do a special test. I don't know the name of the test, but basically white blood cells will be removed from Cody's blood, radio activated, then returned to his body. A radiologist will then follow these radioactive cells and see if they accumulate in his abdomen. If they do, then that is a sign that he has an infection (abscess). I didn't ask where we would go from there. I'm afraid to even ask. I just want to take this step by step and try not to think too far into the future.

Cody's doing ok. He, too, is trying not to think to far ahead. The goal is to take things easy (as easy as an active 15 year old can accept), get plenty of rest each night, increase fluids during the day and listen to his body.

Please continue to remember him in your prayers over these next few weeks. We will follow-up with the GI surgeon next week, and then with our family doctor in 2 weeks. I should have all the lab work by the end of the week. We will know then where we will go next.

~jen

No comments: