Well, I survived... without tears. They could have come during a speech by the principal as he was telling us that our kids were going to be ok... that we as their parents were going to be ok, and that we would be able to let go. I ended up biting my lip to keep myself from crying. I got it together and made it through the evening.
Mike and I were able to visit with the head basketball coach and the head golf coach. Both coaches knew Cody and spoke highly of him. We found out that Cody will be able to play both basketball and golf (assuming he makes both teams). Cody will be able to start practicing with the AHS golf team this year as soon as his basketball season is over. The golf coach runs our area's summer NTPGA golf tournaments and he said that Cody will make the golf team if he can shoot an average of less than an 85 per round. He's almost at that level now, so with some more practice and lessons this summer, he'll be ready.
One of Cody's good friend's parents caught up with us and asked how I was handling everything. They are the "seasoned" parents as they have already graduated 2 other children. They've been through all of this before, so I look to them a lot for advice and encouragement. They both laughed when I told them that I spent a good portion of this morning in tears.
I ran into an old friend from when I was attending AHS, so it was nice to catch up with her. Of course I took a minute to look at my graduating class' picture. So surreal.
I know that Cody and I are both going to survive these next few months. I guess I kind-of know how my mom and dad must have felt 19 years ago (it can have been that long ago, can it?) . I seriously don't know how Marcia (Mike's mom) did this 8 times!
Children inevitably grow up. There's nothing I can do to freeze time. So, I've got to make the best of these next few years... and pray.
What's worse is that I still have to go through my "grieving" process of Caden starting Kindergarten! Oh my goodness. Mom and Dad... you'd better plan on coming here during those first few days of school this fall! I am going to need all the support I can get. :)
Now the tears are coming....
Hug your babies, they grow up so very fast.
~jen
1 comment:
I thought of you several times last night. I am proud that you were able to fight back the tears. I probably will be the one in the back having an ugly cry moment. Just remember you have raised Cody well and he will do great in High School. I love you all~
Post a Comment