I'm not sure I've ever posted a Codyism before. I've done several Cadenisms, but I think this is a first for Cody.
Yesterday after picking Cody up, I could tell he was excited. He had the biggest grin on his face while walking towards the car. I knew something was up with this child.
I asked what he was smiling about. He answered that first, he had made a 91 on his Biology 6 week's exam (hallelujah)... we were both smiling at that point... and that he and Chase had come up with some plans for this summer. (Chase is one of his best friends and his good golfing buddy.)
I was curious about these plans for the summer.
It wasn't much longer and I heard the words... you know he's turning 16 in a couple of months.
There are 2 things (well, there are probably more than 2, but for now... we'll just focus on 2) that I am dreading over the next 13 months: Cody's friends who will be turning 16 over the summer months and Cody turning 16 next March.
Without pause, Cody quickly begins spilling the plans. First, we plan on taking a trip together to New Mexico to play a little golf at Sandia.
I looked at him and asked "BY YOURSELVES?" (calmly, of course).
Cody, dumbfounded and in awe that his mother was asking that question answers (while rolling his eyes none-the-less), "yes... just the 2 of us... what's wrong with that?"
"Let me count the number of wrongs with that plan. #1 no. #2 no. #3 no. You are not driving anywhere long distance with a 16 year old. No."
(I am sure Chase will be a very responsible 16 year old driver, but I was once 16... and it wasn't that long ago... I remember and I know what 16 year olds do once they get behind the wheel a few times!)
Cody, quick with a response to any no... "Well, what about Dallas? That's our 2nd plan for the summer."
Me: "What about Dallas?"
Cody: "We thought we could drive to Dallas to play golf and stay with Granny and Papa or Marie and Joey. You know, I could go visit them while we are there."
(Awe, that's sweet of you Cody to want to go visit your great-grandparents and aunt/uncle/cousin, but the answer will still be no.)
Me: "If I won't let you go to New Mexico, what makes you think I'm going to let you and Chase drive the same distance but in a different direction? NO, Cody."
Cody: Ever quick on the draw... "Can we at least drive to Dalhart to play golf with Russell?"
Me: (long explanations are not working at this point, desperation is starting to set in) "No."
Cody: (sighing) "What about Plainview, can we at least (sarcasm's setting in) drive down to Plainview to play golf?"
Me: (time to nip this in the bud) "You will not be traveling further than Canyon (15 minutes south of Amarillo for you non-local readers!) with any one who is 16. Period. End of discussion."
End of discussion never works.
Cody: "What about north of Amarillo, how far can we go?"
Me: "Don't push it Cody."
I did eventually explain to Cody my reasons why he couldn't go and he reluctantly, and all the while he thought his mother was crazy, accepted.
Later that night, the discussion came up with Mike. Mike's answer after rolling in laughter was "you're not driving anywhere past 45th and Bell with Chase!"
I told him he could at least go to Arden road, so Chase could occasionally bring Cody home from golf!
~jen
1 comment:
Okay, I haven't laughed this hard in a while -- had to go read it to Alan. Rest assured Cody is not the first to have such grand plans, and not the first to be told "NO WAY".
Post a Comment