As if my life right now couldn't get any more hectic or stressful, I had to take Caden to the doctor today. Last week I noticed a small, round, reddened area on the back of Caden's right leg. I brushed it off as probably a bug bite or a small rash. Sunday night I noticed the red area was bigger and upon further inspection and palpation, I realized that this was something more serious. The area was raised, hard, and had a least a 1" diameter knot underlying the skin, and Caden said it was hurting.
Our family doctor had to open the abscess and drain it this afternoon. I hope I never have to put Caden through something like that again. It was completely awful. Towards the end we were both crying. Cultures were obtained. Unfortunately we will have to wait a couple days to see what grows. Our doctor's first impression is that it is MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus). MRSA is known as a "super-bug". There are only a limited amount of antibiotics which are successful in treating MRSA. Caden has been started on 2 antibiotics which are the best for treating MRSA. However, I have been unsuccessful in getting him to take one of them. It smells horrid and it tastes even worse. (I tried a small amount.) I tried all of my tricks tonight, but nothing worked. We have to go back to the doctor tomorrow for a follow-up visit, so I guess I will see what our options are with that medicine. Please pray for Caden. I am thankful that the worse is over, for now at least. He will need to soak in the tub for 20 minutes, twice a day and continue with antibiotics for 10 days. He did really well tonight with his soak. I set up the portable DVD player in the bathroom for him and we watched part of a movie together. Unfortunately for me, I have to clean the tub before and after each soak, wash Caden's clothes, towels, and linens separately in hot water until his incision closes. If this gets him well, then all of it will be well worth it. All I want is for him to be OK. I have seen MRSA in the hospital and it is very frightening. Please, please pray for Caden.
Please remember me in your prayers, too. This has not been the best Christmas season for me. I am so stressed right now and I feel that I am ready to break at any minute. I don't know how much more I can handle. As hard as I try to not worry and to have faith, all I seem to do is worry and my faith seems to be slipping. It is hard to be happy and cheery this holiday season.
~jen
2 comments:
Jennifer,
Your family is in my prayers this holiday season. I know that it is tough and all the words that come to my mind don't really offer much comfort right now. I pray you find peace in God's glorious plan because he is so faithful even when our own faith is slipping. I pray that Caden's body responds quickly to the antibiotic as well. God Bless you Jennifer!
Keri Melban
Jen,
I am so sorry that Caden and you are having to go thru this. I can't even imagine. What can I do for you??? You know, besides pray~~~~I will pray and put him on our prayer list at church. Please know that you are always on my mind and I think Caden and Cody are pretty lucky to have such a wonderful mom. I love you!
Renay
Post a Comment