Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Update

I thought I would just post an update on how things are going. Caden is doing much, much better. The infection to his leg looks better each day. It is still draining, but very little. It is now about the size of a penny. He has not been running a fever, which is great news. We return to the doctor tomorrow morning for a check-up.
Cody is doing well. Only 1-1/2 days of school left before the holiday break. The gold team won their last basketball game 33-14 and now are 4-0. Cody is still improving with each game and having a great time playing. Cody fixed home-made pizza for us the other night for supper. (It was one of his latest Life Management class projects.) He did a fabulous job. Too bad cleaning the kitchen up afterwards wasn't part of the deal!
Mike is doing well. I think he is starting to get a little bored being cooped-up at home. He has been a great help with Caden and Cody. He even took both boys to Wal-Mart last week to do some grocery shopping for me. His interview went really well last week. He and the CEO will meet again in the next few days and iron out the last few details. Mike feels confident he has the job. Thank you for your prayers and support over the last few weeks. I really appreciate all the phone calls and emails.
As for me, I am doing ok. I had a very trying day at work yesterday. My 6 patients ranged anywhere from a 15 year old boy who had major back surgery to correct scoliosis, a 60-something patient who was told yesterday that she will spend the next 6-8 weeks in a long-term care hospital to fight a staph infection, to a 70 year old cancer patient who decided late yesterday evening to have a Do Not Resuscitate order executed. Needless to say, I had a very emotional day yesterday. Oh how small my problems seem when compared to those around me. I had to place a DNR bracelet on the cancer patient before I left last night and tears filled both our eyes. What an emotional day. I am learning that emotions have to be controlled, that I am to be the strong one for my patients and their family, but it is so very hard at times.
Time to change the subject before the tears start..... :)
We woke up this morning to find a pretty layer of snow outside (about 3 inches). Too bad it is over 1/2 an inch of ice! Cody and I noticed many broken tree limbs throughout the neighborhood as we drove to school this morning. Hopefully the power lines will hold and we will not experience any power outages. I still have some Christmas shopping to do today!
Well, I guess this is all for now. I hope everyone is doing well. I will post tomorrow after our visit with the doctor. Hopefully we get the all-clear to visit with family this weekend.
Love to you all,
~jen

No comments: