Saturday, May 1, 2010

Simple Reminders

Two days ago I received a call from a friend that the wife of a mutual friend of ours from high school was tragically killed in a car accident. Their two children were in the car with her, but were not seriously injured.

My heart has ached for this family for the last two days. I am sure it will for the next several days as I think about them as they prepare to bury their loved one and then accept the life that they now have to live without her. She was only 33 and leaves behind a 1 1/2 year old son and a 3 year old daughter, a loving husband, and countless other family members and friends.

I have not seen or spoken to this friend in 15 plus years. We were able to reconnect through facebook over the last several months and it has been wonderful to have that connection to him and so many other long lost friends from high school. I am saddened that so many friendships were simply let go over the years. Too busy to call, too busy to stay in touch. Life got in the way.

The news of this tragic accident has served as a simple yet powerful reminder that our life is precious. Spouses, children, parents, grandparents, siblings, family members, friendships... are precious. We are not guaranteed another day. I have taken too many days for granted. I've taken too many friendships for granted. I've taken too many family members for granted. There were days that I didn't speak kind words to my husband or children. It's too easy to get caught up in the day to day and forget that there is no promise of another day.

So, to those family members and friends who read this... I am thankful for each of you. I love you and am blessed to have you in my life. I will try to not take each day for granted. For we do not know what is planned for us. At any moment life can change in the blink of an eye.

~jen

No comments: