Saturday, July 9, 2011

Remembering Maxine

This week I learned of the passing of a dear sweet lady, Mrs. Maxine Payton.  When I was 2 my parents and I moved to Hobbs, New Mexico and for the next 6-7 years or so, Hobbs was our home.  During that time, we attended Jefferson Street Church of Christ and my parents and our family were "adopted" by the Payton's.  Maxine and Lowell were the most wonderful Christian individuals.  They opened their home and their hearts to my family.  Even after we moved to Amarillo, there were yearly trips to Hobbs on our way to Pine Springs church camp.  I can still remember stopping by their home to visit them.  I even remember grabbing onto an electric fence to get a better look at Lowell's horses and cows only to get a jolt of electricity sent through my body!  Lesson learned there!  They were one of the sweetest families that I have ever known.

I'm sad that as an adult, I let too much time slip by, or got to busy, or just forgot to stay in touch.  I know my mother stayed in touch with Maxine and Lowell as often as she could.  Lowell passed away several years ago and mom continued to stay in touch with Maxine.

It's sad to look back and think what opportunities were missed by not sending a card every once in a while.  It's a sad feeling to realize those missed opportunities.  It's a reminder to not let life get too busy that I don't take the time to tell those who are special to me just why they are so special.  This is one of those simple but profound little reminders of missed opportunities.
~jen

No comments: