Friday, March 13, 2009

A sonogram and a banquet

Monday I had the privilege of going to Karen's (my sister-in-law) first sonogram. I was so honored that I was asked to go along with her and my mother-in-law to see my niece or nephew for the first time. It was amazing. I quickly went from standing in the back, against a counter, to sitting right beside Karen staring in awe at the monitor above us. Tears filled my eyes as soon as we could see the heart beating. Did you know that the heart starts beating 18 days after conception? 18 days after egg and sperm (sorry to those who just became squeamish after reading sperm... opps, sorry, said it again!) come together, the heart starts to beat. Amazing. Did you know that at 12 weeks this baby is fully formed. All of it's organs are present and functioning (except for the lungs). And at 12 weeks this baby can suck it's thumb! Absolutely amazing and miraculous.
We watched in amazement as this little baby moved his/her arms and legs. It was beautiful.

Thank you Karen for inviting me to go. It was a wonderful experience that brought back memories of my sonos of Cody and Caden. It meant so much to me that you allowed me to take part in that special moment with you and your mom. It was amazing.

Later that evening Mike and I went to Cody's basketball athletic banquet. We were so pressed for time that I didn't get any pictures of Cody before the banquet. He was so handsome in his dress clothes. Here are a few pictures from picking up the dates (we took Cody and 2 of his friends and their dates) and at the banquet:





(Can you see Cody's good friend and team member, Willson, sneaking around behind us to get in our family picture? Crazy Willson!) :)

Even though the majority of the banquet was to honor the varsity teams and the seniors, it was a great banquet. I sure hope it's not our last basketball banquet with Cody. I want to be one of those senior moms watching their child sit at the head table with their Sandie basketball banner displayed behind them! :)

~jen

No comments: