Monday, April 25, 2011

Tears

Today has been one of the most difficult, emotional, and challenging days thus far into my nursing career.

I have been in tears for the majority of the day. They come in waves, from a single tear to an enormous crushing wave of tears and sorrow.

I wasn't a very professional nurse today for I cried numerous times. Sometimes while holding and comforting family members as they cried, or when loving and holding a precious soul.

I came across a poem this evening.

“When you’re a nurse, you know that every day you will touch a life
or a life will touch yours.” —Author Unknown

Today, I hope both happened.

I know that my life has forever been touched by a precious soul. I pray that I made a difference in his. I pray that he was comforted when needed. I pray he knows he is loved.

Tonight, I will hold both my own children just a little tighter and just a little longer than they would like. I will tell them how much I love them. I will say a prayer of thanksgiving to our Father for blessing me with two healthy children.

I will say a prayer for comfort and understanding for those who may be hurting.

I will hold on to today, and take it with me, so that I may become a better nurse tomorrow.

I will remind myself that it's ok to cry. For the one day I don't cry or feel an emotion, that's the one day I need to find a new career. Because that's not the kind of nurse that I want to be. That's not the kind of nurse I am.

That's not the kind of person I am.

~jen

No comments: