In case you don't know what Hell Week is, here is Wikipedia's definition:
"Hell Week, also referred to as "Spirit Week" is the week in which Amarillo High plays Tascosa High School in a severe football rivalry. During Hell Week, many vandalisms occur such as egging, spray painting, toilet papering, keying, and other property defacing acts. In 2006, vandalism ranged from simple chalking on sidewalks to bricks being thrown through windows. In 2007, fellow Senior Sandies of 08' spray painted the black "T" in front of Tascosa gold. However, many steps are being taken to attempt to make Hell Week less violent, such as increased police presence. Both schools also discourage violence during announcements."
"Hell Week, also referred to as "Spirit Week" is the week in which Amarillo High plays Tascosa High School in a severe football rivalry. During Hell Week, many vandalisms occur such as egging, spray painting, toilet papering, keying, and other property defacing acts. In 2006, vandalism ranged from simple chalking on sidewalks to bricks being thrown through windows. In 2007, fellow Senior Sandies of 08' spray painted the black "T" in front of Tascosa gold. However, many steps are being taken to attempt to make Hell Week less violent, such as increased police presence. Both schools also discourage violence during announcements."
Back when I was in school I never once even thought of stepping out after dark during Hell Week for fear of getting caught by the local police for even looking towards the direction of Tascosa High School! I was basically content to let the football players bash each other's lights out during the game. That was enough for me.
Fast forward many, many... many years and now I find myself in a new predicament... the recipient of Hell Week vandalism. While we have no certain proof that the vandalism to our car is from a THS teen, the timing and color choice of paint provides enough certainty that more than likely this is related to the upcoming game.


Cody made a comment to me after we discovered the vandalism that maybe I should take down my AHS Sandies window stickers. He implied that maybe if I had not had them on my car, we wouldn't have been targeted. Maybe so. However... I am so very proud of those Sandie stickers on my back window. I am so proud of Cody that he has been able to make not only the golf team, but the basketball team as well. As his parent I have the right to put those stickers on my window. I have the right to be a proud Sandie. I have the right to put my Longhorn sticker on the back of my window. Or a Steelers emblem on my window or any other sticker I want to put on my car! You know why? Because IT'S MY CAR!!!!
So to the criminal who got a 45 second thrill from splashing red paint all over the front of my car... you are a JERK. Just because you don't like my Sandies stickers, or my Longhorn stickers... (who knows it could have been a disgruntled OU fan for all I know) You have no right to vandalize my property! Want to know why.... BECAUSE IT'S MINE! I work to pay for that car! I work to pay for the insurance for that car! AND I REFUSE TO TAKE DOWN MY SANDIES STICKERS!!!
My ranting is done. *Sigh* Not sure I feel any better.
~jen
No comments:
Post a Comment